WOONZO cvba and Kleine Landeigendom cv are social construction companies from South Limburg that are active in Tongeren. WOONZO cvba is in charge of public-sector rented housing, Kleine Landeigendom cv of subsidized owner-occupied housing. Based on the design guidelines of the VMSW (Flemish Social Housing Company), a complete, new residential area has to be designed. To this end, both housing companies are looking for a multidisciplinary team with knowledge of and experience in architecture, urban planning, landscape architecture and the layout of public space. Within the fairly strict framework of the current RUP (Spatial Implementation Plan), we are looking for creativity and innovation, quality and aesthetics, ecology and sustainability.
The project area is a northern outlier of the urban fabric of Tongeren, adjacent to a social housing estate dating from the period 1950–1965 and 2003. The area is bordered to the west by the ribbon development along the regional road N730 Tongeren-Bilzen. To the north, the Molenweg (a recently constructed access road) forms a very hard border. To the south, a ‘green track’ runs between the project area and the old housing estate: the old tram track bed that is currently being developed as a cycle route called ‘Fruitspoor’ (Fruit track).
The total area of the site to be designed amounts to +/- 52,000 m². We are assuming a total design of +/- 116 social housing units, of which 50% are owner-occupied and 50% rented. In the south-west of the area, we are assuming a private development of +/- 11 housing units. Approved on 28 October 2011, the Siegelsmarkt RUP defines the legal spatial framework for the development. The RUP describes project zones that must be developed according to a specific phasing. Mainly, ground-level single-family dwellings should be provided, in addition to three small-scale residential volumes with multi-family dwellings.
The construction companies are looking for a design team with a focus on:
- architectural integration into the landscape through high-quality design and embedding
- budget-friendly and sustainable architecture
- public space that encourages leisurely social interaction in a quality setting suitable for all ages. The layout must contribute to the creation of a safe, healthy, social and sustainable neighbourhood where it is pleasant to walk, cycle and live.
- ecology: both the owner/landlord and the user/tenant should be able to benefit from a sustainable system
- the encouragement of sustainable mobility
- a phased approach to the works
- the guidelines of the VMSW on area standardization and cost determination
- close consultation with the city of Tongeren.
Included in the assignment/fee of the project
- Interior (initial equipment, including fixed furniture)
- special techniques
- outdoor areas and the layout of the surroundings
- infrastructure (road and sewerage works).
Excluding surveying, EPB reporting (energy performance of buildings), safety coordinator, participation, movable furniture, archaeological research.
To be submitted with the application
- The ESPD must be included for each applicant among the documents in 'My Open Call' (the online profile on the website, not in the portfolio).
- Non-Belgian applicants must also attach their supporting documents regarding tax and social debts and a non-bankruptcy certificate through their ‘My Open Call’ account.
- A motivation text and 3 reference projects explaining their relevance must be added to the online application module.
- The portfolio (.pdf) with max. 20 pages in A4 size (*) and (**) must be added in the online application process and will contain the following information:
- cover (1 A4)
- proof of registration with the Order of Architects (1 A4)
- the CVs of 3 members of the project team who are guaranteed to work on this assignment, demonstrating the required expertise (max. 2 A4s per team member)
- clarification of the 3 reference projects (max. 4 A4s per project)
If an applicant relies on third-party capacity, the portfolio should be expanded to include:
- the signed commitment agreement of the office relied upon
- the ESPD of the office relied upon.
* Portfolios exceeding 20 pages will be shortened to the first 20 pages. Anything from page 21 onward will be deleted.
** If the applicant relies on the capacity of a subcontractor, only the subcontractor’s signed commitment agreement and ESPD will be considered in addition to the first 20 pages.
- Applicants must be registered with the Order of Architects.
- A motivation text must be submitted regarding the social dimension of the assignment. In doing so, the candidate demonstrates that his or her work method can achieve a social objective and guarantee the public function.
- A project team will be formed consisting of 3 people who are guaranteed to work on the assignment. In terms of expertise, the project team should be composed as follows:
- at least 1 expert in architecture;
- at least 1 expert in landscape architecture in accordance with VMSW accreditation (for the road and sewerage works: master’s degree in engineering sciences option construction, master’s degree in industrial engineering sciences option construction or equivalent; for the layout works: at least a professional bachelor’s degree in landscape architecture or equivalent);
- the project leader can demonstrate 5 years of experience.
- The applicant must submit 3 of their own reference projects. The reference projects must meet the following conditions:
- 1 reference demonstrating experience with social housing (VMSW norms)
- 1 reference demonstrating experience with landscape/public space
- 1 reference that the applicant finds relevant with regard to this assignment.
The following applies to these reference projects:
- The reference projects may be realized, under construction or in the (preliminary) design phase. Competition entries are also permitted.
- The reference explains the role the designer played in the relevant reference project;
- The references demonstrate the way in which the designer deals with the existing context and the surroundings.
Reliance on third-party capacities
An office or a temporary partnership can rely on the capacity of third parties:
- if it cannot provide the required references
- if it cannot provide the necessary expertise within the 3-person project team.
If an office or a temporary partnership relies on the capacity of third parties, the portfolio must also include:
- a commitment from the other entity or entities being relied upon
- the ESPD of the other entity or entities being relied upon.
Offices within a temporary partnership do not have to rely on the capacity of another office within the temporary partnership.
Exclusion, selection and award criteria
Please consult the selection guide. It includes:
- the grounds for exclusion
- the selection criteria (eligibility as well as technical and professional ability)
- the award criteria
- the description of the evidence and documents to be submitted
- the preconditions and contents of the portfolio.
All-inclusive study assignment for the Siegelsmarkt social housing estate in Tongeren
- Project description
- agmen, PLUS office architects
- Antea Group, De Gouden Liniaal Architecten bvba, gestalt architecten bvba
- Architectuurstudio Peter Vande Maele, BOT architektuurcollectief, BuroLandschap, BVBVBA D'Hoore-Vanweert Architecten
- awg architecten, Petillon Ceuppens architecten
- MAARCH, Raamwerk
The area between Molenweg and Groenstraat / Bilzersteenweg and Ziegelsmeer
- Selection: 10 Oct 2022
- First briefing: 13 Jan 2023
- Second briefing: 13 Feb 2023
- Submission: 20 Apr 2023
- Jury: 4 May 2023
Gewestelijke Sociale Huisvestingsmaatschappij WOONZO cvba
Sociale huisvestingsmaatschappij Kleine Landeigendom
Marnik Croux (WOONZO) - Robby Habets (Kleine Landeigendom)
Competitive procedure with negotiation
€20,880,000 for the construction of +/- 116 housing units, layout of the surroundings and infrastructure. (excl. VAT) (excl. Fees)
Gen. fee basis: 6% - 6.25% for the study assignment, incl. architecture, stability, special techniques, layout of the surroundings, infrastructure (VMSW salary scale 2006.1 - stab. en sp. techniques according to VMSW guidelines contract type RI – 2005)
€10,000 (excl. VAT) per candidate - 5 candidates